Tires that last! Time not milage..

JayS.
Yellow Horse

Tires that last! Time not milage..

Post by JayS. »

Today I was moving some car around and fighting flat tires. Are there any tires that last anymore???!!! Check out my picture of some of my tires! UGH!

My brother and I worked on the 65 Dart GT in the mid 2000s, we got busy and never got back to it. Lol. :roll: A barn find of our own making. My brother and I had the idea thought it should have a big block so we pulled it out of the barn to see if it was doable(nope 318 or 360 will have continue to do). It had NEW tires on it back when we worked on it! They all leak out the sidewalk as fast as the air goes in!
D1D1A826-7F78-4BB0-967E-457C60488755.jpeg
The bottom photo are on one of our other cars until recently (the front of the 69 charger in the photo) They are 225/60VR-15 GOODYEARS (149 mph rated). They were expensive. The tread is separating on them. What a waste!

D1D1A826-7F78-4BB0-967E-457C60488755.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
795501D1-60CB-400D-B2C7-87FC4C1E2095.jpeg
AC3EE792-412C-4718-A251-885B9DC50B86.jpeg
Last edited by JayS. on July 21st, 2020, 12:00 am, edited 7 times in total.

JayS.
Yellow Horse

Re: Tires that last! Time not milage..

Post by JayS. »

Now check out these tires. Tire Freaks! If only I could find front tires like this that last!!!! They were on 69 RAIV GTO and the guy went back to original. We bought them in 1997! They probably go back into MID 80s!!! They are M&H racemasters, since they are biased ply I just use them to shuffle cars around. They basically have ZERO weathering. I have NEVER added air to them.
ED403009-9923-46B2-BFA2-C92EE68791DC.jpeg
Last edited by JayS. on July 20th, 2020, 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JayS.
Yellow Horse

Post by JayS. »

One more. I didn’t want buy any more tires today. But I needed to replace another set until I am ready for new tires on another car project. These L60-14 Armstrong’s were on a car we bought in 1988. They were probably 15+ years old then! Late 70s early 80s is just a guess. They still hold air, even the rubber valve stems are fine. They have been stored in the overhead of a corncrib for 20 years. My son thought it was cool when we climbed into the loft then chucked them to the ground 20 ft below. Every other modern tire that was stored next to them was weathered beyond using.

Probably 40 years old..Back in the day we called then our TUNE tires(as in they look like something in a cartoon). At least I can push the car by hand now to move it out of the way.. I put them back on. :lol:
Attachments
36BDC778-0EC7-4464-AAA8-807396E62A4B.jpeg

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster (Charter member)

Post by Admin »

For a second Jay I thought that was a photo of you standing by one of the tires when you were a kid. Damn that's and old tire. :lol:

I had those VR rated Goodyears (Gatorbacks) 255-15 on my TA from 1991 until 2008 or so. Replaced them with Mickey Thompson radials. Yes those Goodyears were expensive then and were top of the line. Funny they went out of style and 16, 17 and larger performance tires took over leaving the 15" rim in the obsolete category. I autocrossed with those tires in dry and wet and they were very good in both situations. The Mickey's are not as wide and they are only rated to 112 I believe. They look nice though.

The first set of radials were for my 1976 Grand Prix. Michelin of course. They were a good street tire and held up pretty well, even on the super hot black top in Florida. I sold the car to my Dad when the TA was purchased and he ran them until he sold the Grand Prix years later.
"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

JayS.
Yellow Horse

Post by JayS. »

When those old Armstrong’s were new I was probably my boys age. :lol:

My brother and I tried running the Armstrong tune tires once on the street in the mid nineties on that yellow charger. The engine in the car was dynoed at 557 hp @6100, trying to get it to hook on the street I did a topfuel type burnout with black marks for about an 1/8 mile, hitting the 7000 rpm rev limiter several times before I gave up trying to get any traction. We went home an put them in the loft of the corncrib as soon as we got home. :roll:

I do like the look of the Mickey Thomson radials! Those are on my “short list” to try.

Steve C.
Two Feathers

Post by Steve C. »

I purchased a pair of Cooper radial GT tires years ago for the front and only replaced them after 10 years for safety reasons. They were in good shape at the time. I bought that brand because of their 245/60-15 size then mounted them with the goofy white lettering to the inside with the letters blacked out. They were replaced with Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T in the same size, same deal with the white logo. Cooper makes them for M/T.

On the rear I run Nitto NT555R 275/60-15 drag radials as my street tire.

JayS.
Yellow Horse

Post by JayS. »

The shop had the tires in there warehouse, I didn’t get to look at them...dropped the rims off and told the tire shop to put some 215/75r15s on the these Cragers bring over a set of 225/70r15s for another car. Luckily they forgot about the second pair. One set of these is enough. I should have took the time and ordered Mickey Thomson’s. I am going to do that for the second set. These are ugly.
7761D6F2-C2C8-423B-AC8D-D135779E8252.jpeg

I have 245/60sr15s on all 4 corners of my T/A, they are over 10 years old now. I wouldn’t trust them for much spirited driving. I am waiting for the engine girdle to get engine back in. Should happen this next month. I don’t like the tread pattern of those Nitto’s on GTO’s with a normal stance very much. I think the Nitto’s tread pattern look good on T/A’s though. They are priced decent, I would like to try them on my T/A and go back to snow flakes this go around. I don’t think 17s are in the budget unfortunately. I would like to run 275s on the back and 245s on the front like you have one your car Steve.
Attachments
8CA5D176-CF5E-4D9F-BBB4-2B58E81220FE.jpeg

Steve C.
Two Feathers

Post by Steve C. »

Many years ago I used to run Firestone Indy 500 215/65R15 on the front. They were 26.1" tall and I liked the stance with them, pictured here:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0712phr ... eId=243959

However I decided to go to the the slightly taller Cooper tire that is 26.55" tall, but it has more 'footprint' on the ground. I did this for safety to help stop the car at speed with my manual brakes. With the Cooper tires the stance is a bit taller in front but I put up with it.

I've considered 17-inch wheels, nothing bigger because I personally don't care for the 'wagon wheel' look of larger 18"-20" diameter wheels on a muscle car. I have always stayed with 15-inch to fill the wheel wells, and a shorter sidewall on taller tires will promote a harsher ride. That and I'm too cheap to buy new wheels an tires :)

If interested in removing the white letter look. There is a product that actually works, unlike other internet methods touted. It will not harm tires or come off in time. It's called Tire Black that comes in a spray can to cover the white letters. It is used by Firestone dealers. But they don't sell it at retail; it's for their own use. Find a friendly store manager that will be kind enough to let you borrow the can.

JayS.
Yellow Horse

Post by JayS. »

I agree Steve, your T/A did have a good stance with the Firestones. I don’t care for the look of 20” wagon wheels either on most older cars. I have never tried to hide the white lettering other than having the letters in, good to know there is a good option to hide them though. This GTO has those Indy 500s, now that they were mentioned I am curious how they are weathering.
F9AD8141-2D9E-43D5-BDF6-21B4401F68CF.jpeg
There does seem to be a lot of differences in how tires hold up to weathering. I bet it gets more extreme down south in the heat and drier climates.

Maybe the tread wear RATING is a sign? Softer tire could take longer to age. Like that Racemaster I have, it still feels soft. I have some firestone drag slicks from the same age that did not fair very well though. So apparently there is more to this and there are some major differences in the tire compounds.

I have several cars here with BFGoodrich’s that are getting older that appear like they are weathering ok. Better than some generic brands anyway. Not my first pick if the car has much power though. I tried one of the older sets of Goodrich’s on one of our more powerful cars and they lost traction yet at about a 60 mph cruising speed. Fun, and scary all at the same time. :shock: Certainly not fast. :lol:
07C56431-22CB-4098-A6E3-126C9867D38F.jpeg

Phil400
Two Feathers

Post by Phil400 »

I've got Cooper Cobra 255 60 15 on my car for the last 5 years, I really like them, like the stance my car has with them, more modern tread then the BFGs, better price and still have the old school white lettering which I'd never not have on my t/a, I can heat them up they'll stick abit on the street,but car doesn't make serious power. I've actually got the rear tires off right now as I just finished replacing the rear shoes.
Attachments
20200723_210529.jpg
20200723_210521.jpg
20200723_210302.jpg
78 T/A 4 Speed, mine since '99, Third and final owner as long as I'm alive.

JayS.
Yellow Horse

Post by JayS. »

Thanks Phil. Nice car! Are those snowflakes the 8” wheels with 255s?

I never ran Coopers, they are a good looking tread and do have good looking lettering. I see them on classic cars a lot.

I looked them up to compare the prices for a 225/70r15. I notice the Coopers were a (118) T rating, 440 for wear for $115. Mickey Thomson’s are also t rated, I couldn’t find the wear rating, for $139, and the BF Goodrich Coker tire were $159, 400 for wear, S speed rating (112 mph)..

If a guy wants the white lettering to match all around, with the better speed rating, the Coopers look like a better buy than BF Goodrich.

Steve C.
Two Feathers

Post by Steve C. »

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T tires

Speed rating: T
wear rating: UTQG 440 AB

Here you go :)

https://zemr3plm3e-flywheel.netdna-ssl. ... 00x600.jpg

https://zemr3plm3e-flywheel.netdna-ssl. ... 00x600.jpg

JayS.
Yellow Horse

Post by JayS. »

I am surprised the M/T’s are 440. I thought they might be a softer compound.

Custom letters. HA! Now we are talking! And I would fit right in with the Millenial’s at the Friday night fun drags. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder if the Pink Letters glow in the dark...that is what I would have to get:
Attachments
9D3227CB-865E-4A5E-8958-626CADCBF96E.jpeg

Steve C.
Two Feathers

Post by Steve C. »

Cool.... glow in the dark tire letters. Be like giant Side marker lights on the sides of cars.

Most of the world’s tire market is controlled by only a few large manufacturers.

Cooper Tire
In addition to Avon, Cooper Tire manufactures tires under the associated brand names Dean, Mastercraft, Mickey Thompson, Roadmaster, and Starfire. Cooper Tire formerly manufactured all tires sold under the Sears Guardsman brand at Sears, Roebuck & Co.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Ti ... er_Company

Fact or fiction, updated material ?

Rather dated but there is this....
Cooper buys Mickey Thompson performance tire company
https://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20 ... re-company

I can say, although similar, they have a slightly different tread pattern. This not unusual on subsidiary brands and done so for marketing reasons. One would hope they have similar construction. A characteristic feature of Cooper tires is their competitive price tag combined with rather low wear, which is achieved by rigorous quality control according to one independent source.

Phil400
Two Feathers

Post by Phil400 »

Thanks Jay, yes 8" snowflakes, what year is that Vette in one of those pics? My dad has a 76 4speed.
78 T/A 4 Speed, mine since '99, Third and final owner as long as I'm alive.