461 Build on Youtube

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster (Charter member)

461 Build on Youtube

Post by Admin »

Came across this new Youtube video today and thought it may be of interest. Check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VjXNjo71SY

I think the engine would have produced more torque and hp with an Edelebrock RPM intake and single Quadrajet rather than the 3 deuce set up. Engine is slated to go into an early '50s Pontiac show car. That's pretty cool.
"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

JayS.
Yellow Horse

Re: 461 Build on Youtube

Post by JayS. »

I watched that video earlier today. The tri power FI system on that is neat. Very unique engine. Torque was sure impressive, going to be a ride in that cool old wagon.

There are a few things I scratched my head on. Using a 389 block that is missing all the main caps? Wow. Talk about not start with much. :lol:

The compression was stated as a “modest 9.8”. But yet the pistons where flat tops and they said the e heads were the 72 cc variety. With a 4.155x4.25 combo, flat tops and 72 cc is more like 11.5. Must have been a 87cc head and they unshrouded it some to get to the 9.8 scr.

It would be fun to see a dyno pull with a rpm on the combo.
Last edited by JayS. on July 20th, 2020, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster (Charter member)

Post by Admin »

Jay, what caught my attention was the cleanliness of the guys work space. It was like a sterile surgical unit. As is typical with video and magazines, they seldom get down into the real details. I wondered about the machine work that had to go into that block and thought I was obsessive until I saw the outside of the block missing casting flash and lots of imperfections we typically see. The Pontiac engine is not like a Chevrolet engine where you can see down past the heads and exhaust to see the sides of the block. But, ok, everyone has their thing. I agree, that '55 2 dr wagon will move like never before with that engine. Hope the owner has a good transmission to go with it.
"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Steve C.
Two Feathers

Post by Steve C. »

The video did state the heads were hand ported and the chambers ended up a few cc's larger. But the amount was not stated. Also Edelbrock heads have been known to vary in their published chamber size, sometimes larger.

Conversation about the block on PY has people suggesting it was in fact not a 389 block.

Related to missing all the main caps. Reminded me about the 455 block and crank I purchased for a build years ago. I took the block to a shop to be cleaned and the cylinder walls sonic checked for thickness. After waiting at least a month I called... they said it was ready. Upon picking it up I was informed they had misplaced all the original main caps. Ouch ! I ended up purchasing all five from Pro-Gram Engineering and installed them with studs.

JayS.
Yellow Horse

Post by JayS. »

I have heard of some shops really messing up miss placing stuff. Loosing the main caps on a Pontiac would be right in there with the worst of them.

One of the guys on PY noticed the engine in the video had 3 freeze plugs and 389s only had 2 per side. Then they also some how caught a glimpse of the engine codes and zoomed in on them. It is apparently a 69 400 in the video, not a 389. If the stated 9.7 compression is correct, the heads about have to be 87cc E heads.