Then And Now

Phil400
Two Feathers

Then And Now

Post by Phil400 »

I thought it might be fun if there's any long time owners out there to post a pic of then and now with your car if you've got any pics. I've owned my t/a 21 years now, hard to believe, its been with me thru all the ups and downs in life since I was 18 years old.

This was the first Forum I joined after reading Jim Hands book, the new feature to add pics without a third party host site is a great addition Bill.
Attachments
Now
Now
Then, Summer '99 I still had all my Hair! Lol
Then, Summer '99 I still had all my Hair! Lol
78 T/A 4 Speed, mine since '99, Third and final owner as long as I'm alive.

Bill Boyle
Two Feathers

Re: Then And Now

Post by Bill Boyle »

Phil, what a great idea. Posting then and now photos. Gosh, all of us have changed...both car and people are older. I will look for some picts to contribute to this thread. Laughing and ridicule allowed. :D

[By the way, clicking on the image makes it very large so you can see detail....just saying.!" ;)
"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."
Image,Image,Image
1979 Trans Am: 400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, Pypes 2.5 SS dual exhaust X pipe, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 800 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Phil400
Two Feathers

Post by Phil400 »

Yeah I'll bet we've all changed lol, maybe even if anyone has some Vintage pics of them and some rides from back in the day could be cool too 8-)

rkellerjr
Tribal Scout

Post by rkellerjr »

Visibly there's not much difference, almost all of my changes over the years has been mechanical and electrical. But, there were some changes, here are a few distinct changes...

The car pictured at the lot I bought it from. Here the car doesn't have the front valance, has '79 spoilers, and has a very high stance
100_2455.jpg
Here it pictured on the Tail of the Dragon and you can see all of the things above have been fixed.
2067903.jpg
This was the engine bay, hacked up, jury rigged, etc.
100_2438.jpg
And of course, proper parts, cleaned up, etc.
20180414_175419.jpg
Rich
1975 TA - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCENVXA ... zhw/videos
When you turn your car on does it return the favor

Phil400
Two Feathers

Post by Phil400 »

You're car looks great Rich, I've followed alot of your projects on the forums over the years, it always looks spotless your car, and you drive it, which is awesome, too many of these beautiful cars sit unused in garages.

rkellerjr
Tribal Scout

Post by rkellerjr »

Thanks Phill, I do drive it and love doing so. I'm now starting to budget a complete interior replacement, going from the red to black.
Rich
1975 TA - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCENVXA ... zhw/videos
When you turn your car on does it return the favor

Bill Boyle
Two Feathers

Post by Bill Boyle »

Organizing my computer and re-discovered this photo of me and the Trans Am circa 1996 about the time the PSP website was started. This was taken in our back yard--the grass needed to be cut. No gray hair at this time. :) The Trans Am was painted, as it appears here, 3 years earlier. TA decals were never re-installed until 2020 (still w/o the hood decal though--pending).
Bill007.jpg
Image,Image,Image
1979 Trans Am: 400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, Pypes 2.5 SS dual exhaust X pipe, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 800 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Phil400
Two Feathers

Post by Phil400 »

That's a great pic!

Bill Boyle
Two Feathers

Post by Bill Boyle »

Found another old photo taken in September 1993. The TA is sporting new BC/CC and things couldn't be better.
Bill1993Shreveport.jpg
Image,Image,Image

Bill Boyle
Two Feathers

Post by Bill Boyle »

This subject and thread have hit me hard. Old photos compared to current photos show how one ages. My grand kids are growing up and it's been fun to watch, however, the years begin to pile on as an adult. It makes me think about the past and many of the things I dealt with were of the fond memory type. As many of you know because you've been around since the beginning, like Lee Atkinson and Brian Baker, there are others still around that have in essence retired from the hobby because of their age. Jim Hand comes to mind. There are others.

My Trans Am has been part of our family since May 1979. It was a car that I really wanted, one that was fully enjoyed driving to work and occasionally running it in a local autocross. With 4 wheel disc brakes, the car did very well and I have trophies to prove it. It was kept in pristine shape, inside and out, and the engine with all of it's crazy wiring and emissions lines, all looked new for years. It is no longer the same l78-W72 WS6 vehicle that it was in 1979. Power has been nearly doubled after installing my last set of upgrades that included ported 62 heads and the Comp Cam 276AH10 grind really bumped up the power from the slightly tweaked 6X-4 heads and 270H camshaft that cam into play in 1996 when the engine was rebuilt and received other refinements. The TA ran very well in autocross competitions. Drag racing was minimal in comparison. Most of the drag racing was done in Maryland when we lived in Virginia in the late '90s. Runs were fact-finding events. Trying to discover the best launch RPM with a manual transmission was never completed. Traction was typically bad with 2.0 plus 60' times. Brian Baker loaned me a set of sticky circle track tires and that helper lower both the 60' as well as the car's ET. On the website I wrote about the car's effort and my frustration. In reality, more time should have been spent dialing in my driving technique to the way the car was set up. Less than a dozen runs proves little. All of my car's runs as I recall frustrated me to no end. Why? Well, in one power iteration with stock 6X heads and a Crane Blazer camshaft, the car broke into the high 13s with 245-15 Goodyear street tires. That was years earlier, as I recall, 1983. I never doubted the time slip from Miami-Hollywood drag strip. After running in the 14s with more power at MIR years later, doubt about that 1983 time slip began to haunt me and continued but with less annoyance as the years passed by, until today.

While looking through lots of photos that are on my computer I came across a photo of a run in 1998 or 99 at MIR. It appears to be a solo run and the ET and mph sat me up in my chair. I thought was that my TA? Who took the photo? It had to be my wife. It was before digital cameras. I am still looking for the hard copy of the photo. Below is that photo. Could that be right? If it is I didn't see that time slip or get the one showing that ET. I asked my wife and she only recalls taking photos of my TA running. She has no memory of the time slip either. The TA never saw the drag strip after moving from Virginia. The mystery continues...I don't have any Bigfoot or UFO photos on my computer only this old photo that was scanned in 20 years ago.
MIR.jpg
Image,Image,Image

Bill Boyle
Two Feathers

Post by Bill Boyle »

Pontiacs in the Park was held at Virginia Motorsports Park for several years. I attended each of them until the event stopped. My first attendance was in 2004. I met several Pontiac racers who I had not run across before on any of the Pontiac websites. One of those fellows was Greg Miller. Greg was a very good and loyal supporter of Pontiac Street Performance and eventually acted as the service provider for the old PSP forum. He did it without compensation, for which I am grateful. A fellow veteran, we hit it off pretty well. Below is a photo taken by another Pontiac racer, a former Coast Guardsmen, Tom Worrall, who was with our little group of enthusiasts during the 2008 Pontiacs in the Park event and others. Greg's Firebird was a concoction of parts with a very powerful Pontiac engine. The car itself was referred to as "Frankenstein" and it was a monster. It had a terrific suspension and just "went." The photo below is Greg and me--that car never saw wax or a microfiber towel--so we horsed around as if it was being waxed. :lol: Greg is a good, gracious man.

All of this is the "then." As for the "now," Greg has moved on and is now a pastor of a Methodist church in Charlottesville,VA.
PIP2008GregBill.jpg
Image,Image,Image

Phil400
Two Feathers

Post by Phil400 »

Great Stories, 13.30 @ 99 is pretty darn good! The hardest part I find with my 4 speed is as you said,launching the car, always seem to have to feather it, I've only run my car twice at the strip the rest of my horsing around has been on back country roads, but can never get a good hook, from a dead stop, and my car isn't that fast by modern standards.

I understand what you mean by age, we're all getting older, in some cases its alittle scary to see.
My dad doesn't use his vette nearly often as he used, @ 73 he has a harder time now getting in and out of it. Or somedays doesn't feel like shuffling the 3 other cars around in his driveway just to get it out of the garage, and especially this year with covid looming he's got nowhere to go.

The hobby and how we use our cars changed as the years go by I think.

Bill Boyle
Two Feathers

Post by Bill Boyle »

Phil, I am a year younger than your Dad and understand the "slow down" one experiences as one gets older. This is one of the reasons that racing (auto crossing or drags) doesn't have the same attraction it used to have on me. Everything one does as one matures becomes less tolerable. An example is working under the car. Getting down, getting up, working upside down, not being able to see things closely or at all is a hassle and frustrating. It is frustrating when one is 25 and more so at age 72. Enjoy the many years before that time--that is my advice. :lol: I am still going through photos on my computer and will look for some that are before the '90s. Most old photos on my computer were Kodak photos scanned in for one reason or another.
Image,Image,Image

JayS.
Yellow Horse

Post by JayS. »

33C5D8C8-7818-44F4-94C0-67AB009AA706.jpeg
My cousin, brother and myself working on the t37 race car in 1997.

I will get some current photos up. Working under cars on a creeper is much harder when your eyesight can’t quite focus! That happen to me at about 40. A guy really should buy a lift after you turn 40. :roll:

Fun seeing/reading about others cars and stories.

The t37 we have came along the same time the t37 race car did, 1996 was our first big venture racing Pontiacs. I built some Pontiac engines before that back in the early 90s, one of the first was a RA3. Then around that early 90s time frame a neighbor gave us a roller cam 389 tripower, which was a big push in the direction of Pontiacs. My 77 T/A was bought in 2013.

I think my brother has the older photo albums. I have pics of us painting and doing body work my first car when we were 14. Next time I get the Chevelle out I need to get a current shot. As long as I have had that car I am amazed how few photos I have of it!

Here are some Pontiac fun from 1997..That is me with the 455 on the engine stand......
B257D9E0-E06F-449F-812F-D427A0C5F74A.jpeg

Next phot is my TWIN brother in the red shirt. (T37racing on this site). That bottom photo looks like some tall valve springs. :)

There was no porting allowed in that class. HMMmmm. What is my brother doing???! :lol:
Attachments
D0EC6A5A-FCD5-4DB8-958C-0A39BF2DA57E.jpeg
017F281C-B304-48AE-8995-F19BE45D76D7.jpeg
Last edited by JayS. on August 12th, 2020, 12:51 am, edited 8 times in total.

JayS.
Yellow Horse

Post by JayS. »

Same year. 1997. Same group of guys in the stock car photo too. Running our super street 10.90 index cuda at the track
CA904EBF-3786-41C5-BF1F-04E54D55E215.jpeg
F9D753B0-C08A-46B6-93C2-DE808CFF47AA.jpeg
Same year. Working on our Caterpiller 10.8 liter turbocharger power dually crew cab 1968 International pickup. The cab is in the background.
C77AFFF9-6AF7-4280-9858-886F52C5D0E2.jpeg
087FBA77-9AD7-4EC3-AFA4-C00FF37DA5BE.jpeg
Photo from 2020. Me and 455 Pontiac in the fore front, our 72 Plymouth (owner since 1988) in the back ground.
Attachments
28203B29-179A-446A-AABB-4663C8D2B5DE.jpeg
Last edited by JayS. on August 11th, 2020, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.