Pontiac V8 Powered Stock Class History

Pdrag
Sitting Bull

Re: Pontiac V8 Powered Stock Class History

Post by Pdrag »

The year 1964 is very important in American automotive history. It was the year of the Muscle car. Of course we remember that the '64 GTO hit the streets. But there were others, including the Olds 442, Mustang 289HP, & the wild Ford Thunderbolt.

From what I can learn, the '64 GTO was not very competitive at the big races. There were just too many other combos with better lbs/hp numbers. But, I assume there were probably LOTS of '64 GTOs competing on local tracks, all over the country.

I do have the pic of a '65 GTO that was a national record holder. Another driver was also national Stock champ in the car.

If any of you guys know of any more competitive '64 and/or '65 GTO Stockers, please post that info & pics if you have 'em.
Pampered Papoose .jpg
'65 GTO Nat Champ .jpg
'65 Pampered Papoose. .jpg
Neill Pontiac '65 GTO .jpg
Bartz '65 GTO .jpg

Pdrag
Sitting Bull

Post by Pdrag »

Before we leave the 1st half of the '60's completely, I must mention the wagons. There have always been a few competitive Pontiac wagons around. I've run across a few record holders.

The 1st one I'll mention is the Lumley & Sanders '61. It was a national record holder, which ran in both H/SA & I/SA.

A few wagons ran a stick. Had to be hard on drivelines, considering the weight of some of those big wagons.
H-SA Record holder .jpg
I-SA Wagon .jpg
Joe Perzan .jpg
Stick Wagon .JPG
R-S 177 .png

Pdrag
Sitting Bull

Post by Pdrag »

A little more from '64.

Don Gay is shown as the winner of the A/S class, at Indy, in a '62 Catalina. I've read that he was DQ'd. But, it makes sense to me that if he was DQ'd, they would have done that BEFORE taking his pic with the class trophy. So, I'll assume he was the legal A/S winner of the race. I did read that his '62 Cat was DQ'd at another race, which I think was the Winter Nat's, for having mufflers that were slightly too short. Have no idea if this info is correct, or not.

Anyhow, for any who don't know, Gay Pontiac was a Houston area Pontiac dealer. They fielded lots of Pontiac drag cars, thru the years. Roy & Don Gay drove most of 'em. Don later drove some Pontiac powered Funny cars. But, they both started out with the big Stockers. And, while Don was driving the '62 Cat, Roy also drove a '64 GTO. And they had one of the '63 421SD Tempest wagons. I'll post a pic of all three, together.
'62 Cat .png
Don Gay '62 .jpg
Don Carbs .jpg
'64 A-S Winner .jpg
gaycars.jpg

Pdrag
Sitting Bull

Post by Pdrag »

In '65-'66, there was a large variety of competitive cars, running in the Junior Stock class. IMO, 2 of the ugliest were Studebaker & Hudson. There were also some really ugly Mopars. Speakin of Mopars, there were several engines which powered lots of very competitive cars. The 383, 413, 426 Wedge, & 426 Hemi powered cars won LOTS of races. There were also some very competitive Ford, Olds, & Buick models, not to mention the HUGE number of Chevy models. Must have been very interesting to see so many different brands/models, at a big race.

But, among the many competitive models, there were a few Pontiacs scattered among the competitors. Barry Hopper ran his "Mystery Indian" '64 GTO, which ran 13.10's & was a regular winner at a New York track. Knafel Pontiac ran at least 2 '66 GTO's. One of those may have won more races than any other Pontiac in history, in a single season. According to the Junior Stock(hereafter abbreviated JS ) book I mentioned, it won the '66 NHRA Spring Nats, with a 12.90 @ 105.30. The most famous pic of it, shows it covered with trophies it supposedly won that season.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2013/0 ... -delegance

http://www.tinindian.com/

Royal Pontiac also ran at least one '66 GTO'.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profi ... l-pontiac/

And of course, some were still running the 389 & 421 powered big cars.
Mystery Indian .JPG
Knafel '66 Rig Side View .jpg
66 With Trophies .png
Royal 66 Pits .jpg
Royal '66 .jpg
Last edited by Pdrag on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pdrag
Sitting Bull

Post by Pdrag »

Apparently, there were quite a few '66 GTO's used for drag racing. I've found pics of some that were dealer sponsored, as well as those that appear to be just private cars at local tracks. I grew up close to a very small country town, in the South. I remember only one '66 GTO in that town. It was a black 4-speed, Tri-Power, with black interior. I thought it was really cool ! 8-)

All the '66 GTO Stockers I've seen were 4-speeds. I assume this is because the only legal auto, back in those days, was the ST-300 2-speed.

Before we leave 1966, the JS book says that the NHRA Finals race that year was won by Jay Hamilton, in a Ramon Lowe prepped F/SA '58 Pontiac. It said the car held the record at the time, with a 13.81. He ran a 13.65 @ 102.50, in the final.
2 - Diesi C-S .jpg
3 - Maxon '66 .jpg
4 -  Lady Driver .jpg
5 - '66 GTO .jpg
Jay Hamilton .jpg

Pdrag
Sitting Bull

Post by Pdrag »

Pontiac fans know that 1967 was another big year in Pontiac history.

To me, there were at least 6 major developments.

(1) The 400 cube engine

(2) The 428 cube engine.

(3) Screw-in rocker studs & pushrod guideplates.

(4) The Q-jet carb, which marked the end of the Pontiac Tri-Power era.

(5) The 1st factory installed Ram Air set-ups.

(6) The TH400 transmission.

(7) And of course, the 1st year of the Firebird.

But, from what I've read, the '67 Pontiacs did not make a big splash in drag racing, right away. In fact, thru the years, I've only seen a very few pics of '67 GTO Stockers, & none in recent years. Below are 5 pics showing 3 different examples.

Or Not.

Well, can't post pics from my files, like I've been doing. Notice says the files are invalid. Only option is to delete the pic. Anybody know why they have been posting & won't now ?
Last edited by Pdrag on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pdrag
Sitting Bull

Post by Pdrag »

Gonna try the pics again, on this post.

OK, they post just fine now, but wouldn't post at all on the previous post. I'm not very computer savvy. So, I won't try to explain it.

This 1st '67 GTO went on to be R/U in div 5 points, in '68, & held it's class record @ 12.31.
1 - Limelighter '67 Rec Holder .jpg
2 - Limelighter '67 GTO .jpg
3 - Tiger-Rific '67  .jpg
4 - F-SA '67 .jpg
5 - GTO RA '67 .jpeg
5 - GTO RA '67 .jpeg (9.07 KiB) Viewed 64 times

Pdrag
Sitting Bull

Post by Pdrag »

So far, I've only found pics of 3 V8 powered '67 Bird Stockers, from back in the old days. If I find more, I'll add 'em later in the thread.

The last 2 pics are how a modern day, 10 second '67 Bird Stocker looks. Last pic is the same car, with newer paint. It has been a very competitive car, for many years. Will post a lot more info about this car & driver, later on.
1 -  '67 .jpg
2 - Super Bird '67  .jpg
3 - LMP '67 Bird .jpg
4 - Bryan Phillips @ Indy .jpg
5 - Bryan Phillips .jpg

JayS.
Two Feathers

Post by JayS. »

The record holding 67 400 HO that raced D/S class survived, it is still in Minnesota last I knew. There is a other 67 GTO 400 HO that regularly went up against the Limelighter that was slightly slower. IRC 12.60s versus the 12.30s the limelighter clocked. Owned by a farmer up in the Dakota’s. Both are rare 400 HO, 744 cam,4.30 geared cars. The farmers D/S car that ran 12.6s is slowly getting work on it for restoring it to original, but amazingly it has the original engine in the car yet, gears swapped to a 4.56, original 744 cam is up on a self in the owners garage, swapped for a more competitive bigger cam. The engine was unmolested other than that. The car was a factory t400 auto, it was converted to a 4 speed. Low milage drag car, I don’t recall the exact milage, something like 15k. Time capsule’s to say the least.
Attachments
C7EFE2D1-FC52-45E5-AEF4-85A6BB444D12.jpeg

Pdrag
Sitting Bull

Post by Pdrag »

Hey, thanks for the info & pic !

Please, if anybody has info and/or pics of any old Pontiac V8 powered Stock class drag cars, that I don't post, by all means, post your info/pics.

The only thing I ask is that you post about the years that are being discussed, or have already been mentioned. I plan to go right on up thru the years.

So, if someone posts about cars that were racing 10 or more years later than where the thread is, time wise, it will clutter up the thread.

But, if the new info is about the year being discussed, or early, that will help fill in the blanks. And there WILL be blanks, because I couldn't possibly know about all the Pontiac V8 Stockers that have been raced.

I think maybe all of us together can come up with enuff info to make this a very informative thread, on this subject.

Thanks in advance, to all who will contribute info and/or pics of old Pontiac V8 powered Stockers ! :)