Factory and Custom paint job-difference

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster (Charter member)

Factory and Custom paint job-difference

Post by Admin »

Because of the lousy and very threatening weather down here in South Florida (it's 2020, to be expected), yesterday, room was made in my two car garage to bring in my "other car," the Millennium Yellow C5 Corvette. It now shares space with the Trans Am. This is the first time in this home's 55 year history that two cars have sat side-by-side in the garage. :o

With the two cars sitting side-by-side and the ceiling lights illuminating both, I can see how average the factory Millennium Yellow paint job is compared to the paint on the Trans Am. The 2K paint job from the factory on the Corvette was far better than the acrylic lacquer factory paint on the 79 Trans Am when it was new, however, the Bill Boyle "custom 2019, 2K paint the car in the garage" paint job on the TA, is better, far better. The difference was the time spent applying base coat, clear and the long and tedious "cut and buff" stage of the job. The Corvette never got that special treatment. Shoot, buff and polish--it's done. 8-) That was good enough from GM and Chevrolet.

Too many years have gone by to perform a "cut and buff" on the Corvette, besides, I don't know how thick the clear coat is at this point. So, the best that can be done is to clean the paint surface with a clay bar, give the paint a quick compounding and polishing, then add wax--all to be done with a machine. Bottom line: Both cars will sparkle, something to feel good about in a year filled with mystery, difficulties, discontent and gross disappointment. :roll:
"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

rkellerjr
Two Feathers

Re: Factory and Custom paint job-difference

Post by rkellerjr »

I think it also goes to how well you did on the 'bird. Nice job.
Rich
1975 TA - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCENVXA ... zhw/videos
When you turn your car on does it return the favor

tjs44
Tribal Scout

Post by tjs44 »

I have found factory clear coats dont hold up if left out in the weather.Just had to have my 2005 Silverado touched up,red truck,all flat surfaces started pealing.Tom

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster (Charter member)

Post by Admin »

Tom, I suspect the amount of 2k clear shot over the base coat was thin to start with on your truck. I don't know what factory paint GM uses, that is, from what automotive paint family. If it's anything like 3M, now Axalta, there are different levels of clear one can buy. The premium clears are quite expensive. It's hard to imagine GM or Chevrolet spending big bucks per gallon for a premium clear. They probably use a middle of the road clear that can be applied uniformly and be temperature baked to cure in a very short period of time. Just my guess though. ;)
"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."