Sound deadening & under carpet insulation

Overkillphil
Tribal Scout

Sound deadening & under carpet insulation

Post by Overkillphil »

Redoing my interior again (last time was 1983), this time I removed all the OEM sound deadening and tar stuff. Going to do some housekeeping on the floor sheet metal and then want to install some new sound deadener and insulation before the new carpet goes in.

What’s the best way to go these days? Is the Repro sound deadener any good or garbage? I figured dynamat is a good option but I’m thinking I need a good insulator too as I want to keep the noise and heat out of the interior as much as possible.

Btw, I weighed the OEM stuff and it was 33 lbs!

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster (Charter member)

Re: Sound deadening & under carpet insulation

Post by Admin »

Phil--some guys install Dynamat throughtout the interior but add no insulation. The Dynamat tends to remove the "boink" from the metal, changing it to a "thud" sound. It changes the resonance and has some sound deadening properties to it. Insulation will mute the sound from outdoors and keep the inside of the car cooler in summer. The kit I purchased used some Dynamat placed in strategic spots the company recommended and then insulation over it throughout the interior. I put nothing inside the doors but did the roof. Adding insulation to the roof alters the location of the headliner and adjustments to it are required. Additionally, headroom is diminished. I found that out. If I were to do it over, I'd forego the roof and leave it as is as I prefer the headroom.
"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

rkellerjr
Two Feathers

Post by rkellerjr »

I went with Eastwoods sound and heat resistant stuff. I heard and felt a world of difference. I made sure to do the firewall all the way back. I ran out of material at one point so have to go back and fill in some of the back areas and I think I'm going to add to the doors as well. The interior is cooler and quieter. I highly recommend it. Might be a bit overkill :D but it works!

100_3353.JPG
100_3356.JPG
100_3359.JPG
Rich
1975 TA - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCENVXA ... zhw/videos
When you turn your car on does it return the favor

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster (Charter member)

Post by Admin »

Insulation1a.jpg
Insulation1b.jpg
These photos illustrate my earlier post. The package purchased did not required a full contiguous installation of Dynamat. The Dynamat pieces were numbered and recommended spots were included in the instructions as I recall. The insulation is also pre-cut and fits like a puzzle and is tacked down with a spray 3M adhesive. Cutting the insulation to fit the contour exactly was easy to do when needed. Adhesive is sprayed on the backside of the insulation and the flooring and both are allowed to tack up. The final stage is the aluminum tape to make the insulation look seamless. This insulation is probably similar to what Rich installed in his TA.
Attachments
Insulation1d.jpg
"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Overkillphil
Tribal Scout

Post by Overkillphil »

Thanks guys! That was very helpful. This interior project has turned into a much bigger ordeal as I’ve found more and more things that need addressing. It’s been almost 40 years since I bought the car so there’s been many “iterations” over the years. This is the last one so all the old “dead wood” is being removed and everything corrected.

Can’t wait to see the new optional Saddle seats installed as that’s how this all started out.

rkellerjr
Two Feathers

Post by rkellerjr »

Keep us updated with pics :)
Rich
1975 TA - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCENVXA ... zhw/videos
When you turn your car on does it return the favor