Bill Boyle's 79 TA Resto Project: Part 5, Page 1

Bill Boyle
Two Feathers

Bill Boyle's 79 TA Resto Project: Part 5, Page 1

Post by Bill Boyle »

This thread is the continuation of my TA Restoration Project that was started...a long, long time ago and was disrupted with the advent of this brand new PSP forum. The car is not finished, its pretty close. Updates will continue (it's just part of me) until I get to present the car at the first (and who knows when with this corona virus lets up) car show.

Update: 29 June 2020

The car is once again on jack stands. In the past couple of weeks, new KYB shocks were installed in the rear. After taking the car out for a test drive, I realized quickly that something was wrong when I took off hard from a dead stop and got serious wheel hop. It happened a few minutes later so it went back into the garage for work. Replacing the shocks made all the difference. Now the rear plants.

The next thing tackled was the front brakes. During a test drive, I had to apply the brakes hard. In doing so, the car pulled heavily to the right. It had never done that before. Original to the car front rotors and pads were replaced with new dimpled and slotted rotors and new pads. Also, fresh new bearings. Since the brake fluid was at least 18 years old since the last flush, the brakes were flushed and 30 ounces of brake fluid, old and new fluid, were collected during the flushing. The brakes have yet to be tested because...

I noticed fluid on the ground under the tail shaft of the Super T-10 transmission. After sitting for years, I believe the rear tail shaft seal got dry allowing gear oil to leak out past the seal and input shaft. Something else to fix.... :roll:
"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."
Image,Image,Image
1979 Trans Am: 400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, Pypes 2.5 SS dual exhaust X pipe, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 800 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Bill Boyle
Two Feathers

Re: Bill Boyle's 79 TA Resto Project: Part 5, Page 1

Post by Bill Boyle »

Now I need advice.
Marked the drive shaft so it can be replaced correctly in the same location. However, now with the drive shaft out, I need to pull the seal that's leaking and replace it. What is the best tool to use to remove the seal without scoring the inside of the tail shaft? I currently don't have a seal puller tool. Is this the best tool to use? Should I buy one?

(6/30/20)--A seal puller was added to my ever increasing tool inventory today.
Image,Image,Image
1979 Trans Am: 400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, Pypes 2.5 SS dual exhaust X pipe, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 800 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster (Charter member)

Post by Admin »

Update: 1 July 2020

Received 2 new tail shaft seals for the Super T-10 transmission in the mail. This morning the old seal was easily removed with the seal remover and I soon discovered the new seal was incorrect for the transmission. :roll: These parts were ordered on line from a company in Sebring, Florida. The part number was incorrect for the T-10. After calling them about the incorrect part this morning, we went over the dimensions and sure enough they had the wrong number associated with their on line part. Two correct (I hope) seals are being sent to me.

There was a time when countermen at local parts store had exceptional hands on car knowledge of parts. Often times they would simply look at the old part you showed them and then return with the replacement. Input to computer data bases today supposedly speeds things up and inexperienced countermen can more easily get the right part. However, if the right part is miss-numbered and that info is placed in the computer data base, bingo, you get the wrong part. Inaccuracy seems to happen a lot. If this happens to me, it must happen to you guys too. :o

rkellerjr
Two Feathers

Post by rkellerjr »

Todays world everything is categorized with attributes and if someone entered the attributes wrong, we get the wrong part. Computers are nice and convenient but they often times get in the way of knowing what is right and wrong, we trust they are right, problem is, a human put the data in, not the computer.
Rich
1975 TA - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCENVXA ... zhw/videos
When you turn your car on does it return the favor

Bill Boyle
Two Feathers

Post by Bill Boyle »

Update: 4 July 2020--Independence Day

Installed the correct tail shaft seal and reinstalled the driveshaft without issue. Decided to open the threaded square plug to add a little gear oil to supplement the gear oil that dripped out. Easy I thought, however that plug was really torqued down and it was finally loosened with a breaker-bar. Some gear oil oozed out when the plug was removed so there was plenty of gear oil in the transmission, however, since the oil is 32 years old, all of it will be drained and replaced with Lucas 80W-90. 8-)
Image,Image,Image

Bill Boyle
Two Feathers

Post by Bill Boyle »

Update: 7 July 2020

Drained the old gear oil and replaced it with 55 ounces of Lucas 80W-90 gear oil. This was a real chore. I had to use plastic tubing attached to the container and squeeze the container, let air in, squeeze the container etc ... to push the gear oil into the transmission. Glad that job is over. The old oil is as dark as Guinness and needed to be replaced.
Image,Image,Image

cortcomp

Post by cortcomp »

Bill,

A heads up on that fluid. I believe it is GL-4 or GL-5 rated now, meaning it's not good for yellow metals. I believe your trans has brass or bronze syncros in it? If that's the case, after much reading, the most readily available fluid i could find which specifically stated that it was yellow metal safe, is valvoline syncromesh fluid. I run it in a couple of my NP440 transmissions (which are basically A833 brass syncro mopar transmissions) and other older trans with those syncros and do not have any issues.

One of those transmissions is in a 56 chevy with a street 327 in it that i drive with some spirit and also pull a 4500lb camper with. The trans has been shifting great whether warm or cold with no noise or issues. Just some food for thought.

Bill Boyle
Two Feathers

Post by Bill Boyle »

The Lucas oil 80w-90 bottles says it exceeds API GL4 and GL5... Richmond Gear, which now makes the Super T-10 states: Do not use any gear oil with a GL5 Spec, it will eat up the synchronizer rings. Before I purchased the Lucas oil my research never resolved the "exceeds GL4" ...rating issue with "yellow" parts inside. I guess it's a gamble. :?: The gear oil previously used was Moroso and I couldn't find that brand.
Image,Image,Image

Phil400
Two Feathers

Post by Phil400 »

I'm running Lucas 80W90 for 2 years now. Haven't had any issues, infact I found the fresh oil made the trans shift smoother. Hmm guess I'll read up on that.
Attachments
20200710_085203.jpg
78 T/A 4 Speed, mine since '99, Third and final owner as long as I'm alive.

Bill Boyle
Two Feathers

Post by Bill Boyle »

Yep, that's the stuff. Today I hope to take the TA off the jack stands and take it out on the street to break in the new front pads and rotors.
Image,Image,Image

Admin

Post by Admin »

Update: 20 July 2020

The Trans Am awaits the application of the hood Bird decal. My two sons will help me...however, with COVID-19 infections rising, I have no idea when my boys will be able to drive south to my place to help me with it. In another thread in this Firebirds section, I explained redoing the front brakes on the car. So, today, in between typical South Florida rain storms, I took the car out for another brake test drive. Everything seems normal.

What I did notice was I'm a bit rusty driving the old car. The short throw on my C5 Corvette has ruined the feel I had for the Hurst shifter in the TA. That throw is considerably longer and requires a lot more muscular effort and reach. The driver's seat is in the correct position for me...maybe my arms got shorter. :lol: Well, with more driving time the muscle memory will return.

Another difference I noticed between the two cars is also a contrast. The 6 speed tranny in the Corvette has different gearing than the old BW Super T-10. The TA is also heavier and the car doesn't move as quickly or as easily as the Corvette does from a stop. It also has ABS and traction control which aides in keeping the car under control. When I start off in the Corvette to about 20 mph and punch it, it squats and goes. In contrast, the TA reacts more brutishly. (Pontiac Excitement). Today with a 20 mph punch and go, I "signed the street"...two black lines for all to see. It was great to hear the roar of the engine and the no kidding around, I'm on it, exhaust note. 8-)

Bill Boyle
Two Feathers

Post by Bill Boyle »

Here are two photos taken this past May 2020. These photos are the first time the car was outside of the garage after painting it. These photos show no Trans Am decals (not on in May).
Firsttimeoutdoors1.jpg
Firsttimeoutdoors2.jpg
Image,Image,Image

Admin

Post by Admin »

Update: 8 September 2020

Not happy with the Lucas Oil in my Super T-10 transmission. This behavior follows switching to Lucas 80-90w oil a few months back. Less than 4 miles on the car following the gear oil change, no changes made to the linkage or the tranny. Cortcomp tried to warn me about the brass parts and using conventional dinosaur oil. I contracted Richmond Gear and told them about my Super T-10 not wanting to go into 2nd smoothly after putting Lucas Oil into the transmission. Richmond Gear recommended their 80-90W Richmond Gear GL4 oil. Not available locally (what a surprise) so 2 quarts were ordered on the Internet and should be delivered to me in a couple of days.

Word to the wise: stick with what works reliably.

Admin

Post by Admin »

Update: 14 Sep 2020

Today, the Lucas Oil 80-90W gear oil was drained from my Super T-10 transmission. The car was placed on jack stands with the front of the car higher than the rear at first. While the oil drained, the front of the car was lowered twice to get as much of the Lucas Oil out of the casing as possible.

The bottom drain plug was reinstalled and a little over a quart of Richmond Gear 80-90W GL4 (dinosaur oil) was pumped into the transmission.

My fingers are crossed hoping that my second gear synchronizer was not damaged with less than a dozen shifts with the Lucas Oil in the transmission. The only reason Lucas Oil was put into the transmission was that the tail shaft seal was leaking and was replaced. Lucas Oil was selected because it said that it exceeded specifications of GL4 and GL5 conventional oil. Up until the Lucas Oil there was no problem shifting into 2nd or any gear.

My final remark on oil is use what the engineers designed it to be used with. As a result of this experiment, I'm sticking with conventional motor oil in the TA's engine--not going to take the risk. My wife's car and my Corvette will get the synthetic they've been accustomed to since day 1.

Admin

Post by Admin »

Update: 16 Sep 2020

Richmond Gears 80-90W GL4 oil in the Super T-10 now and took a brief test drive. Jury is still out on the smoothness of the shifts. Need more time behind the wheel to get my "muscle" memory back. Will update this in the future. ;)