Roller followers

Wakesupremo
Tribal Scout

Roller followers

Post by Wakesupremo »

I keep reading some horror stories of people that have had roller cam followers break. is this a problem with pontiac specifically? Are roller followers known to be a 'weak link' I have had Johnson lifters sent to me via Tin Indian to go in my 469 build. Do I have anything to fear?

tjs44
Tribal Scout

Re: Roller followers

Post by tjs44 »

actually very few breakage with hyd roller lifters.Biggest issue is noise and bleed down rate.Johnsons are said to be very good.FYI,the only pontiac hyd roller lifter with the oil band in the proper location is Comp Cams.Solid roller lifter in street use is a diff issue as they need much higher spring rates(200) on the seat to control them from lifter bounce.That cause the bearing to eventually fail.Tom

Wakesupremo
Tribal Scout

Post by Wakesupremo »

Thank you for the reply. As I have never used a roller cam before I am unsure of the issues that regular users have. Am I correct in saying that the cam can 'walk' because a non hydraulic cam is pushed against the gear drives by the slope on the lobes whereby a roller cams lobes are not 'sloped'. How do I overcome this? I know that a chevy has a nylon button to locate the cam.

tjs44
Tribal Scout

Post by tjs44 »

Not a issue with our pontiacs.Tom