Heater Core Replacement

Phil400
Two Feathers

Heater Core Replacement

Post by Phil400 »

As the title says I'm in the middle of it. On the blend door there looks to have a foam or something glued to...its all beat and just passing air from air compressor blew off whatever was left. See pics, anyone know if there's something I could use from the hardware store to replace it?

There's also some very light surface rust, I treated it with rust converter, them I'll cover it with rust inhibitor paint.
Attachments
20200928_204509.jpg
20200928_204502.jpg
78 T/A 4 Speed, mine since '99, Third and final owner as long as I'm alive.

JayS.
Little Wolf

Re: Heater Core Replacement

Post by JayS. »

Is that foam for helping block radiant heat from the heater core, or blending the hot and cold?

There is a special aerospace paint that has a good R value. I will try to find it. I think you can get aerosol cans of it. I probably wouldn’t spend to much time trying to correct the insulation if it shuts solidly.

The heater core is leaking on my 77. I bypassed it temporarily. But when I get into it most likely it has the same issue’s.

It seems like someone sells this in at spray cans. I could be wrong though maybe it is just an additive.

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2007/ch_4.html

Phil400
Two Feathers

Post by Phil400 »

To be honest I'm not sure what it does it just disintegrated, was glued to the hot/cold blend door, it wasn't around the perimeter just more in the center section, if not too important I'll just clean it up.
Yeah mine crapped out in May, by-passed it but now its getting chilly out and car runs good in cooler temps decided to just do it.
Thanks

Phil400
Two Feathers

Post by Phil400 »

It looks like there was a mix of culking and possibly seam sealer on the engine side of the heater box, what would be best to use?

I've googled it, and every thing I find talks of the factory using a strip caulking, my car doesn't appear ro have that. The old heater core said Harrison on it, so I'm assuming no one has ever been in here..
Attachments
20201008_063828.jpg

Phil400
Two Feathers

Post by Phil400 »

I went to auto body parts store and picked up strip culking, all the info I've found sayys that soppose ti be there, so I'm going with that.
Attachments
20201009_082439.jpg

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster (Charter member)

Post by Admin »

Phil, I've done my heater core twice in 41 years. When the ducting was removed the first time, there was a foam with tape backing that provided the seal. I duplicated that material by finding a similar product used to insulate window. When I was in there the second time, years later, the foam seals with the foam where still good. The factory may have used different sealing products. Hard to know for sure. But if the caulking works, it works. It should stay pliable.

Bill
"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."