First engine start

Scott1966
Tribal Scout

First engine start

Post by Scott1966 »

This Friday I am going for the first start of the engine in my 66 Tempest project. I picked up the motor through a rebuilder. It is a stock overhauled 68 400 bored .030 over. Points distributor, headers, performer intake and four barrel carb. I don’t want to kill it and was hoping to get some input as to how to set up the timing and break in procedures. I have not done this in 35 years! Aside from good break in oil and a good pre oil just before start, is there anything else I should do. I’m reading to vary the rpm between 1800-2500 for about thirty minutes. At what point can I let the thing idle to set up the carb etc. At what point would you do the first oil change? What am I missing? Any ideas or information would be most appreciated.

Scott

JayS.
Little Wolf

Re: First engine start

Post by JayS. »

It is always best to run the engine continuously for the 20 or 30 minutes on the cam break in. Take your time and try to prepare the engine to brake in without interruptions.

We usually change the oil as soon as the cam is broke in and stay between 1500-3000 rpm for 20-30 minutes. Set the timing while it is running so it sounds good. After the cam is broken in you can set the idle. After the oil is changed continue to operate the engine at various rpms to help the rings seat. That includes some full throttle action.

20 miles or so is about all you should do on the break in oil on a stock cam.

https://help.summitracing.com/app/answe ... lifters%3F
Last edited by JayS. on September 17th, 2020, 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tjs44
Tribal Scout

Post by tjs44 »

Get or borrow a big fan to put in front of the radiator,have a hose handy if you need to cool the radiator.If you have to shut it down during the brak in keep tact of how long you ran it and when cool,finish it.I assume its a flat tappet cam?If me I would also put in a 1/2 bottle of EOS and a 1/2 bottle of STP.Tom

Scott1966
Tribal Scout

Post by Scott1966 »

Gents,

Thanks for the responses. Is it assumed that the cam is broken in after the thirty minute run? Should I leave the vacum advance disconnected for the break in runs? Lastly, what is the gouge these days on a good oil? I have a bottle of zinc additive but beyond staying away from synthetics, I’m not sure what is best. Slowly whittling away at it and will post results and probably more questions soon.

Scott

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster (Charter member)

Post by Admin »

Vacuum advance is not needed for the cam break-in.

As for oil, my mind was recently changed about using full synthetics in our old engines. I'd stick with conventional (Dinosaur) oils that have a good amount of ZDDP in them. You may pay a little more for it but it will, in my opinion, avoid camshaft/flat tappet issues.
"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Brian R
Tribal Scout

Post by Brian R »

I have always been told to NOT use Synthetic on break-in or for the first 1000 miles. Use conventional oil with ZDDP additive for break-in and for every oil change thereafter unless using roller lifters.

Keep an eye on the temp during break in and like said before, a big fan helps, I didn't have one so I had to keep a hose running in the radiator so cold
water was being run through - not at full pressure, just a slow flow in. Your engine may have different requirements - just watch the temp gauge.

20 minutes at 2000 - 2500 rpm, vary it a bit during the 20 minutes. I just used the idle screw on the carb to hold it in that range.

Did the builder suggest removing the inner springs on your rockers for break-in? If not running real high pressure springs, probably not necessary.
71 Lemans Sport Convertible - Member since the last millennia!

Scott1966
Tribal Scout

Post by Scott1966 »

Just a quick update. Got the thirty minute break-in run completed. It took the hose on the radiator to keep it cool but it all worked out. So far, no leaks and no metal. I limited the idle runs to two short ones just for tuning. I’m now focused on brakes and steering so I can assemble the front end and get it road able so I can finish the break in. Will try and post a couple pictures soon.

Scott

rkellerjr
Two Feathers

Post by rkellerjr »

Nice!!!
Rich
1975 TA - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCENVXA ... zhw/videos
When you turn your car on does it return the favor