My love/hate relationship

67drake
Two Feathers

My love/hate relationship

Post by 67drake »

The older I get, the less I work on my own vehicles. Many times because I’m just too busy to get to it myself. Sometimes because I don’t care for the newer vehicles and the aggravation that I go through working on them.
About a month ago I had a coolant leak on my Duramax. The leaking fitting was next to impossible to get at. I gladly paid a shop to do it. They called and asked if I wanted them to keep going on the job because they were having such a hard time getting to it. I was thinking “That’s WHY I’m not doing it!” Money well spent IMO.
I just paid that same shop last week to do the oil change on my wife’s Suburban. Yeah, it’s something I can do myself, but I spent that time doing something more urgent on another project I have going. So more money well spent.
Today I was going to work on a project house I’m rehabbing. I thought I need to do a few things on my truck before the snow flies here, so I’ll put the house off another day, and work on the truck.
First I go to replace the snapped cable on my sliding rear window. Take the back seat out, all the trim behind the seat, and the cable. I go to install the new GM one, and it’s too short! A couple more hours of screwing around with it, and it appears a small kink is taking up the extra slack I need. Oh well, mail it back and get another I guess!
On to the next project. I live in the rust belt,so I spray the underside of my vehicles with a product called Fluid Film to prevent rust. It has to be applied every year or two. Anyway I didn’t do the inside of the rockers last year, when I got the truck, so figured I better get it done before they start salting the roads again. Well, I’m going to drill holes in the rockers and use those plastic plugs like the rust proofers used to use. On the 2nd hole the 1/2” drill bit snaps in half. Doh! No sideways torque on it at the time either! So I have a little stub of the bit still sticking out of the hole. I go to grap it with a pliers and it falls inside the rocker panel! Double DOh! I’ll probably have a permanent rattle from that bouncing around in there.
Well it looks like I’ll be working on my truck tomorrow too. :(
I’m getting better though, I didn’t throw any tools all day! I think I’ll have the shop do my wife’s brake job next week though. I’m done.

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster (Charter member)

Re: My love/hate relationship

Post by Admin »

"The older I get, the less I work on my own vehicles."

Read your post Drake and it brought up many of my own thoughts.

Does age have anything to do with working on "newer" cars? I say yes it does. It comes down to teaching new tricks to old dogs. Old dogs don't want to be bothered with learning new things because they don't care to prove anything to themselves anymore. That's my belief. It's not that the old dog can't learn, it's just that the old dog, in his/her mind, says,"screw it" I don't have to do it and I just don't care to do it.

The older we get, I believe, the more of that attitude persists in choosing what we want to do and what we decline to do. With people I also believe there's consideration about persistence and stamina that is in the back of the mind when a new task comes up. I see this in myself when there is something that requires me to get underneath a car. It's work to get the car off the ground, up on stands, and then to tackle the problem. This is followed with the getting down, getting up...repeat way too often. Joints and back aches tell you later...maybe for days...that it's not a whole lot of fun. One thinks, it's better for me to spend $100 at a shop where they have a lift and can work on the car more easily and faster. So, there's a balancing of $ and pain associated with the task. I am opting for the $ more and more as I get older and my cars become more electrically confusing to me to solve problems.

Just recently, my wife's car needed 4 new tires. In the past, I've gone to Tirerack and ordered tires that I had delivered to the house. Then the tires had to be put in the vehicle and taken to a shop to mount, balance and install them. This time when I brought up the tire issue with my wife, she said, "why don't you just take it to a shop and have them do it." I balked at it for a while and added the "engine needs and oil change too" and I was going to do that as well. She said,"have them do it too." After thinking about it for 30 minutes or so, I agreed. New tires were installed and oil and filter were changed in 2 hours. Doing this made my wallet slimmer and the $$ I could have saved was saved in having less frustration and no joints or backache for days. Yet, the little man in my head was saying, "you could have done all of that, don't be so lazy." I had to remind myself that the little man in my head was my ego talking and I had to remind myself, been there done that, to let it all go. At 72, I don't need to do every damn thing I used to do when I was between 21 and 71. Yep, been there done that...no one to impress, less pain and frustration...is a good thing. ;)

[Trust is still and issue for me. When my wife's car was back at the house, I checked the oil level and the pressure in the tires. All tires were well above the specified air pressure and they put a bit too much oil in the engine. My brain still tells me to double check shop work performed by others.]
"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

rkellerjr
Two Feathers

Post by rkellerjr »

I agree, I've gotten to the point that the daily drivers go in for just about everything. I still work on the Firebird unless I don't have the tools to get the job done like my new steering pump. Can't pressure fit the hoses so I had a local shop do it that I trust, done the next day.

For me, working on the bird is fun and relaxing, changing the oil in my Silverado, not so much.
Rich
1975 TA - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCENVXA ... zhw/videos
When you turn your car on does it return the favor

67drake
Two Feathers

Post by 67drake »

I agree with both of you.
Yeah Bill I do have that voice in my head too.
My parents were raised in the depression, and passed that penny pinching on to me. I feel guilty paying someone to do something I could do myself. When I was younger I did work myself out of necessity also, because I couldn’t always afford to pay someone else.
I did the exact same thing with tires. I would order online, have them delivered, then take the rims off to take to my buddies shop for mount and balance. The last set I bought was for the Suburban, I just simply dropped the truck off and had them do it all.
I also have a hard time trusting others with my vehicles. There are a lot of hacks out there, and it’s infuriating when someone does a rush/sloppy job on something. I think to myself “I could have done this myself for free”. I just moved to a different part of my state a few years back, and I’m just now figuring out who to trust and who to avoid.
Right after I bought my Silverado I had the oil changed. I took it to the Chevy dealership about 30 miles north of me, as that’s the closest one. They were done with it and the service writer said it could use some front end work, for over$1200!. I told them to put it on the lift and show me. None of the parts they claimed were bad needed replacement IMO. Then while under the truck I noticed a lot of the grease fittings on the front end weren’t greased! This breaks my trust 100% right off the bat. The service manager said why bother greasing a “bad” part? BS! If they skimp on simple jobs like a grease and oil change, they’ll do major work sloppy too. To make matters worse, when I dropped the Silverado off I told them I was in the market for a new Suburban for my wife, so they took me up to the sales office to kick tires. Well, we bought a $50,000 used Suburban all right, a few months later, but never set foot in that dealerships door! We drove to Iowa to get it!