Fall Cleaning out of old Pontiac parts

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster (Charter member)

Fall Cleaning out of old Pontiac parts

Post by Admin »

I know that I am not alone. "Real" car guys, the guys that work on their cars, have a tendency to save old, used parts. We have good intentions, I suppose, and have honest belief at the time the part was removed or replaced, to keep it should it be needed in the future, or that it can be rebuilt and reused for future use.

There was a time where there was no real aftermarket. So chrome trim, bumpers, and some rebuildable parts were kept and preserved for the future. Today, certain cars have a following and there's an aftermarket where one could theoretically build a 55, 57 Chevy from the ground up. Building a 40's and many other 50 and 60s cars require retention of old parts and refurbishing or rebuilding them as needed.

With my 79 TA project essentially finished, I'm going through parts removed from the project that were replaced and stored. Some of those parts were not broken, just old, dirty, rusty or discolored.

When the front brake discs were removed, they were original to the car and could have been machined and reused. They were cleaned up and stored in the boxes that the replacements came in. Again, good intentions to keep and have machined as there was plenty of thickness left. However, after thinking about it, when would I ever have to replace the new discs with the refurbished originals? The car hasn't been a daily driver in 35 years. It is never going to be a daily driver again under my ownership. Consequently, the decision to let them go struck me and the front discs were put out for recycling. I did the same thing with a 1973 cast iron intake. It was purchased to examine the runners but not to go on any engine. I let it go. Another part is going to recycling too and that was my original master cylinder that let go a month before my retirement from the Air Force and moving across country. Replaced it with a reman Raybestos model for WS6 and never got back to the parts store to get credit for the core charge. It's been in the Raybestos box for 18 years kept clean for rebuilding. I am not going to rebuild it. Maybe I can get a parts store to take it; I sure don't need it.

Intake manifolds: My stock dimpled cast iron unit is on my engine. For a time, an aluminum Edelbrock EGR Performer was under the Q-jet. I also have a new and unused single plane chrome manifold. I am not sure what to do with these. I am not sure Edelbrock makes the EGR Performer model anymore, I could offer it for sale, it's in excellent shape--just not sure. Will I ever swap intakes again and for what reason(s)? Can't think of any.

Valve covers: The L78-W72 engine came with Chrome valve covers with drippers. The pair on my engine were replaced in 1996 with similar looking chrome valve covers purchased from Ames. These were recently replaced with another pair of shinny covers from Ames. However, I did consider a different look over the years and own a pair of Edelbrock Signature Series chrome valve covers (new in box) a pair of Holley finned valve covers (new in box), and a used pair of MT finned valves covers. Boy am I fickle. The chrome on the original covers with drippers is dull and will never be used on my engine again. The first replacements from Ames were showing signs of surface rust and that's why they were replaced. What to do with the originals and the first replacements--junk them I guess. A lot more stuff to look through and decide what to do.

The big item is my original 1979 Trans Am hood. It was replaced because of rusting problems that I tried to correct but failed to do so adequately and was not going too put more time and effort into it. There is no market for it here in South Florida as far as I can tell. I hate to junk it as it is straight. It probably has value to some Firebird guy who has the time to mess with it. :|

Original Stereo AF/FM radio was not working very well and was replaced with a modern radio that is far superior to the big, clunky and heavy OEM unit. This too is being trashed, no reason I can think of to save it. :)
"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

JayS.
Little Wolf

Re: Fall Cleaning out of old Pontiac parts

Post by JayS. »

What was the goals back when you bought the single plane and the aftermarket style valve covers. Was that in the name of speed of a look you were after?

What is the quality of the aftermarket T/A hoods these days versus fixing an oem?

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster (Charter member)

Re: Fall Cleaning out of old Pontiac parts

Post by Admin »

Jay--
The single plane intake was one of many that were purchased to resell for a profit through Pontiac Street Performance. They were manufactured overseas and appeared to provided good performance. Some of them were chromed and I kept one for myself. At the time, my engine build up was designed toward bracket racing the TA and thought I'd give it a try. Drag racing never came to fruition because unlike other areas where I had lived, Pontiac people were nowhere to be found in South Florida. My adult sons had their own lives to live so there was nobody that shared racing with me. Subsequently, my truck and car trailer were sold and I began restoration of the TA for show. Car shows are prevalent here is South Florida (at least they were prior to COVID-19). The intake was massaged early on to be mounted to work with my ported 62 heads. The heads are on the car with the stock dimpled L78-W72 intake and a Q-jet.

The replacement hood (made in Taiwan) that's on the TA has a slightly better dimension than my original. However, it has more of a bow to it than the original and doesn't match the curve of the fenders as well as it should in my opinion. Aftermarket pieces made overseas are a "pig in a poke." For me, I couldn't risk reworking the OEM hood on a show car with an expensive paint job where rust might show itself in 2 years because of the high humidity here. However, for a guy that wanted a TA hood for a racing 2nd generation 79-81 Firebird where spit and polish were of little concern it would work just fine.

Bill
"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."